Sage Advice - Relentless Recovery
- First Party Coverage
- Liability Coverage
- Directors & Officers Coverage
Orin Lewis has a broad-based litigation practice with a primary focus on insurance coverage disputes, principally for businesses, non-profits and their directors and officers and exclusively for policyholders and other insureds. His experience includes both first-party and liability coverage, including D&O. For a sampling of some of his more significant achievements, follows the link to the testimonials on the Home page or scroll down to the Representative Matters listed below.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1994
- Honors: Member, Order of the Coif
- University of Houston
- B.S. - 1990
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Texas, 1994
- Deacon, West University Baptist Church Houston, 2008 to Present
- Chairman of the Board and President, Casa El Buen Samaritano, 2014 to Present
- Author, "The Wild Card That Is the Public Interest: Putting a New Face on the Fourth Preliminary Injunction Factor", 72 Texas Law Review 849, 1994, 2000
- Represented large health care system, whose facilities include hospital in Texas Medical Center, in claims arising out of Hurricane Harvey.
- Represented publicly-traded energy company under various primary and excess liability policies after insurers reserved rights for claims arising out of release of oil. Nine-figure recovery obtained.
- Represented executive who had been indicted in connection with his former employment in dispute with insurer over defense costs. Full recovery of defense costs obtained.
- Represented publicly-traded company in dispute concerning reimbursement of catastrophic healthcare claim under stop-loss insurance policy. Obtained dismissal of preemptive declaratory judgment action filed by insurer in favor of lawsuit filed on behalf of client in client’s domicile. Full recovery obtained.
- Represented ATM provider in insurance coverage dispute arising from loss of cash in possession of armored car company. Obtained summary judgment on liability in favor of policyholder. Successfully defended summary judgment on interlocutory appeal. Recovery for client in excess of amount claimed.
- Represented refinery in suit against insurers that declined to pay damages arising out of Hurricane Katrina based on flood sublimit. Obtained summary judgment on liability. Successfully defended summary judgment against multiple attempts before trial court and bankruptcy court to overturn it.
- Represented agricultural plant nutrition manufacturer after insurer denied coverage for adverse judgment against client in underlying Lanham Act suit. Obtained recovery in excess of policy limits.
- Represented church in suit against insurer for failure to pay property damage arising from flood damage to organ. Obtained recovery for client in excess of amount claimed.
- Represented chicken manufacturer in suit against insurer that declined to pay damages arising out of catastrophic product recall. Obtained recovery for client in excess of policy limit.
- Represented hospital in Texas Medical Center in connection with loss of research after insurer disputed loss claimed. Full recovery obtained pre-lawsuit.
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Brown & Lewis LLP, 2015 – 2017
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, Houston, TX, 1994 – 2015
- Intern, Supreme Court of Texas, Chief Justice Tom Phillips